Friday, September 11, 2009

Playing with Class

This will hopefully be a short post. I do have to comment on the fact that playing with class is something that you do not see often in sports. Last night in my co-ed "rec game" there was a tremendous display of such behavior. My team 5? opponents 1. What can I say, the other team was very decent, but we just demolished their defense. Anyway, back to the point, the other team had this little blonde girl who played in the center (where I was playing) and she was very good - quick, technical, and such a great attitude. Not only did she know the game and know her role on the team, but she also played with class. What do I mean by that term? I'd say, eh...respecting the game, respecting her teammates and opponents, but playing a solid game herself, not needing to brag or yell at other teammates for poor decisions and terribleness, not getting frustrated either or letting frustration overtake her game. Something easy to say, but hard especially on the losing side. Now this co-ed rec league gets a little rowdy, usually every game with disputing referee calls and trash talking and yes it happened during last night's game. I witnessed this girl calming her teammates down, helping up the guy/girl (from our team) up who got fouled, and apologizing for the behavior of her own teammates. What a nice thing to see. Can we all maybe attempt to play with class the next time we take the field? Ladies and gentlemen, I guarantee that it will just make you a better player. This young lady definitely displayed impressive skills with the ball, but to me what made her stand out was that she played with class. Thumbs up!

No comments:

Post a Comment